* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The season is coming on!

The season is coming on! 9 years 3 days ago #34853

Hey TnHunter:

There is a lot of this going on at my house right now. No ginseng yet, but lots of plums and peaches blooming.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 3 days ago #34854

Nice blooms, lookin like your almost there Mr. Hugh.

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 2 days ago #34855

Hugh...

My Plum trees have been blooming for a while now... one almost two weeks.

My peaches are getting close, but only a very small number of open blooms right now.

Right now they are saying 28 degrees Friday night and 30 on Saturday night.

A few days ago they were saying much colder.. I hope frost does not get my peaches and plums this year like it did last year.

Good Luck on yours - they sure do look good.

TNhunter

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 2 days ago #34856

Thanks guys,
The temperatures today really made the peaches come alive. The plums are getting close to full bloom. I sure do hate to lose them two years in a row. There are guys in West Virginia that have ginseng plants up now. It's supposed to be 24-26 degrees up there this weekend.

Hugh

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 2 days ago #34857

If the ginseng is hit by the frost, will they come back out?

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 2 days ago #34858

not until next year . wish you guys good luck with you peaches and plums so far every thing has stayed dormont at my house but its getting close i hope everything doesnt come out to soon just to get frost bitten fingers crossed.

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 2 days ago #34859

Not until the following year? Wow. Will the root still grow even though there is no leaves to absorb light? Or does the root stay dormant in the ground.

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 1 day ago #34861

gareth..

On older roots with size the root would just stay dormant and develop a bud spur over summer and fall and then shoot up a top the next spring.

That is if the root has enough size to it.

If first year 3 leafers get frost bit, I doubt they would come back. Probably not enough root to sustain and develop a bud spur and try again. I expect they would try, life just does not give up easily, but not sure if they would make it or not. I kind of doubt it.

TNhunter

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 1 day ago #34862

Thanks TNH. Man, them late freezes or frost do more damage than what I thought in that area. Mr. Hugh, will this weekends temperatures knock off peach blooms? I looked at the temps up there and it's going to get pretty cold.

Re:The season is coming on! 9 years 1 day ago #34863

Good evening guys,
The weather is looking pretty bad for this weekend. Anything below 28 degrees will take out wide open blooms on most fruit trees. This is why peaches are not really recommended above a line that runs from the Greeneville-Spartanburg area to about Clemson and Atlanta. If you get above that latitude you are risking losses that are hard to recover from. It is even going to be rough on ginseng where ever it might be up. I've already talked with one person from WVA about preparing for the severe weather that is going to hit them this weekend.
This is Mother Nature's way of keeping things in order and we learn from it so we can make adjustments as needed. In regard to ginseng that is already up, I would hope that any grower has raked and bagged lots of leaves so they can be spread across any young plants that might have already emerged. I wish everyone good luck.

Hugh

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 210 guests and no members online

Login