2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A needle in a woodland haystack

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 4 months ago #33869

The pockets on my pants are all deep enough so I don't lose stuff except for some times when I'm driving the car. Then it's just on the seat. How I always end up losing something is when I put it in my shirt pocket. Then I absent mindedly bend over to pick something up and what ever it was I put in my pocket falls out. Lost a few things that way :Z

Hillhopper, you plant in Jan? Where do you live that the ground isn't frozen solid? If I wanted to plant in Jan I'd need a friggin bulldozer with a ripper on it. 25lbs? Wow, how long does it take you to put that in the ground? I have a hard time finding the time to get 3lbs in the ground before it turns to concrete.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 4 months ago #33872

Ittiz,
I live in TN. Its freezes here but will thaw back after a cold spell. It takes awhile and I have one more to help. We have it almost cleared of debris and small trees, we the will rake off all leaves before we plant. Then that alone will take us a few days. I may put a video on YouTube and post it here or at least post some pics later on.

Hillhopper

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 4 months ago #33875

Usually I spend 1/3rd of my time clearing the area and 2/3rds of my time planting. I plant about 1 seed every 6 inches and takes me a day to plant a pound. Unfortunately any help I've managed to get was less than helpful lol. When you only get a little over 8 hours of daylight and your helper doesn't get up till noon. I found it was faster to do it alone since I didn't have to wait for anyone. At that rate it'd take a month to plant 25 pounds. Assuming I didn't have a day job. My job limits the days I can plant ginseng to the weekend. Would love to see a vid of how you do it.

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 4 months ago #33876

My help works for me year round so I guess I have a bit of leverage on his work ethics lol. Na, he is a top notch worker.

I actually just came back from burning a pile of debris we cleared. We do the cleaning and clearing when we have time in the fall. When our work slows way down in January, we'll start raking and planting when the weather allows. All the cold we had last year kept the ground frozen much longer and it was late Feb or the 1st of march when we finished up. Send me an email and if I make a video, I'll be sure to let you know.

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 4 months ago #33889

Glad to hear that you found that needle in a 50 acre haystack! Pretty lucky!

when i go into my patches, i have a work pack i carry stuff. I have lost things in the woods before, and was not a s lucky as you... It's a old Kelty work pack that I can haul in a variety of stuff, tools, seeds, etc; and that is where I put my phone, and lunch as well.

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 3 months ago #34019

My dad always tells the story of when he shot a buck 6 miles from camp, in the 11,000 acres state game lands, and when he was done gutting the deer he stuck his Buck knife into a tree while he washed his hands in a creek. Then drug the deer to camp, then drove home. Realized the knife was gone, and next year in squirrel season he walked back to the exact spot and his knife was still there in the tree. Luckily Buck knives are stainless steel and brass, so it was still a good using knife.

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 1 month ago #34386

I see where you went wrong. You started the search in the wrong place. Always go to the last place you'd look and there it is! Every single time, it's always in the last place you look. Sorry, I know I'm a newb but I couldn't resist.

Re:A needle in a woodland haystack 9 years 1 month ago #34403

Welcome to the forum, ErSwnn!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 628 guests and no members online

Login