2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Digging tools

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30331

Once you have used a small mattock you'll never go back to anything else. TRUST ME!
I've tried all sorts of digging tools, get you a mattock!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30338

I have a small one I carry, but I just haven't had a situation where that trappers trowel couldn't get me to the root and get it out without tearing it up. Maybe I'm just hesitant to try the mattock?

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30341

Brad,
My mattock is long handled but fairly light weight, It has a long 7 or 8 inch digging blade about 3 inches wide and an the other side a nice pick end to get between roots an rocks.
I guess a lot depends on the type of ground you're digging in. Some of this ground is so hard in dry weather you can see sparks fly.

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30376

Gotta agree with Rootman on this... a pick maddox is the way to go... however I do still carry a big flat sided screwdriver to help tunnel up under large tree roots, rocks or logs.

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30453

long handled matlock & pick

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30576

16\" Carpenters flat bar, sharpened ends cut tree roots nicely and the length help pry up the soil effectively. Much lighter than a mattock and gives better overall control.

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30741

I agree with rootman and others...

Long handle tool is the way to go. Check out the vid below for how I recommend digging with a larger long handle tool.

I use the tool to break up the ground in a wide circle around where the root is, then take the root out with my fingers.

I have dug with all kinds of tools, flat head screwdriver, and short handle tools (several), but once I tried my long handle digger... I never went back to the smaller tools.

I think the key to getting a long handle hoe type tool that works well ( and does not wear you out from lugging around a big heavy tool) is to get a smaller garden type hoe head, where the handle is round (not oblong).

Most mattox type tools have the oblong type handle and they are just too heavy for my taste. Hard to lug around and work with too.

My long handle tool (whole thing handle and all) weighs less than 3 lbs. Something like 2.6

It also serves well as a walking stick, snake tester, weed beater, etc.. I find that it helps a lot when trying to get around on steep places.

TNhunter

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #30893

Hi, I live in WI and this is 1st dig. We are soaked with rain, garden rotted first time in 15 yrs. The local deer are into the ginseng in our woods. Every day I go out, I see more damage. The excessive rain has made it difficult to keep the leaves attached or they are simply gone. I marked most areas with painted wood or I would not have found it the next day. Will I be able to sell the roots without the stems attached? Thanks for any help. Lynn Gust L.gust

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #31025

Going to try an adze this year.

Re:Digging tools 9 years 6 months ago #31237

Bowie knife. The biggest problem buyers have is broken roots. For top dollar, KEEP IT WHOLE! Terry

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Who's Online

We have 319 guests and no members online

Login