* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Poachers

Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29798

Hello,
First of all I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am sure most of you folks are just as excited as I am about this upcoming season and I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable one.
With that being said, I had the privilege to meet up with a gentlemen that welcomed his self onto our family farm today to do some ginseng digging. What that gentlemen wasn't prepared for was myself walking through the woods with a rifle on my shoulder looking for a missing family pet. To make the long story short after a small confrontation I was able to get my ginseng back. 
My questions for you all are, what do you all do to keep poachers out? would it of been okay to replanted those roots even though the tops were removed? Is it too hot and dry for those root to take back off and strive.
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29799

So sorry to hear of this misfortune-ate ever so increasing problem and glad no one was hurt. That being said that new show Appalachian outlaws did not help matters any! The answer to your question is yes they can be replanted as long as the new bud was not broken. The bud sits on top of the rhizome (neck) if it is missing you can still replant the root but will take an extra yr. for it to come up as ginseng is such a hearty resilient plant. As to the protection of your valued crop their are many different things you can do, what worked best for me growing on my land (but i grown thousands) i bought a nice German Shepard and strung up a heavy duty steel wire line from one end of my crop to the other and built him a nice dog house for bad weather and NEVER once had an issue...two have tried but he warned me of the trespassers with the constant barking (when i was home) you can use motion detectors for night time as well if your crop is close to your home....good luck to you this season and be safe my friend.

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29800

Appalachian Outlaws is as phony as it gets and will only give outlaws more ideas about becoming rich

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29804

I am also sorry to hear of your problem with poachers and you got the roots back without a major confrontation! Vermontshang has offered some good advice. I like the idea of motion sensors but they need to be wired or remotely connected to an alarm system and/or spot lights and maybe even a siren. However, if any of those won't work for you, then I would suggest No Trespassing signs with very stong wording and game cameras or a surveillance system. Just make sure to hide the cameras well if near the ground (i.e. in heavier bushes or brush making sure that the view of your' Ginseng patches are open to capture images of the poachers) or place them 15 feet or more up in trees and adjusted to get a good view of anyone that may trespass.

I agree with Vermontshang that the roots can be replanted! However, if it is extremely dry, some of the roots may not survive. In this case, I would recommend gathering some Log Moss and place the Ginseng roots down in the Log Moss in a large enough container but one that will fit in the crisper drawer of your' refrigerator. Wet the Moss and roots slightly with water and store in the crisper drawer until wetter weather allows for replanting so that there is at least some moisture in the ground. Since the Ginseng roots can be kept in the Log Moss in the crisper drawer of your' refrigerator for some time without harm to them, you may be able to keep them until the Fall die down or cooler weather to replant them. I know that the roots can be kept that way for some time but it would be best to ask others here on Wildgrown for their opinions on the matter.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29805

yellowscat--yes it is phony as it gets, but some of these dumb fools will actually be hitting the woods ans on many people's properties!!

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29806

Frank--great advise as well, and with the motion detectors thats why i said if your patch is close to your house (for hard wiring) Frank i know your getting pretty excited as well :) i counted my G.P.S. numbers on wild sheng and me and the wife have 912 wild plants to dig, great yr. here as we had just such a harsh winter here.Really seems to come up very well after a really harsh winter.....good luck to you Frank and be safe brother.

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29809

I've yet to encounter a poacher, although I have seen the effects of a poacher on land that I was given permission to dig on. It's one thing to keep out varmints and deer, it's another to outwit a human who is consciously deciding to steal. Good luck.

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29845

Hello,
First I want to thank all of you all for the information and suggestions you have been giving me. Its very kind in you all to share such helpful knowledge. I did take some advice into consideration and installed a motion camera in one of my areas today with the intentions of installing more soon.

Mortis, I very glad that you haven't encountered a poacher. That is a major accomplishment or some very good luck. I say this because in the area in which I call home, is covered with folks that receive a disability check while at the same time seem to enjoy poaching other people's land. Which in all honest doesn't make any since to me. As you all know ginseng digging is hard work and very unrewarding more often than not. Therefore, it seems to me if the folks can dig ginseng they could hold a job. I know I come off harsh when I say these things but I can't help but feel this way. Especially since the guy I caught poaching was a gentlemen thats drawing a check but was telling me he was trying to make some money to feed his kids. I was very quick to make him aware that stealing ginseng from me, is the same as taking food from my family as well.

Anyways that is enough of my soapbox for today. Before I logout for tonight I do have a question for you all. Can I go ahead and plant the berries that are on my ginseng tops even though they haven't turned red yet? I'm wanting to do this with the intentions of having the tops broke off before season opens. Thank you 

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29846

mshirley34 wrote:

Hello,
First I want to thank all of you all for the information and suggestions you have been giving me. Its very kind in you all to share such helpful knowledge. I did take some advice into consideration and installed a motion camera in one of my areas today with the intentions of installing more soon.

Mortis, I very glad that you haven't encountered a poacher. That is a major accomplishment or some very good luck. I say this because in the area in which I call home, is covered with folks that receive a disability check while at the same time seem to enjoy poaching other people's land. Which in all honest doesn't make any since to me. As you all know ginseng digging is hard work and very unrewarding more often than not. Therefore, it seems to me if the folks can dig ginseng they could hold a job. I know I come off harsh when I say these things but I can't help but feel this way. Especially since the guy I caught poaching was a gentlemen thats drawing a check but was telling me he was trying to make some money to feed his kids. I was very quick to make him aware that stealing ginseng from me, is the same as taking food from my family as well.

Anyways that is enough of my soapbox for today. Before I logout for tonight I do have a question for you all. Can I go ahead and plant the berries that are on my ginseng tops even though they haven't turned red yet? I'm wanting to do this with the intentions of having the tops broke off before season opens. Thank you 

You are more than welcome for and to anything I can help with! We are all brothers and sisters and compadres in a common cause and do what we can to help each other.

I guess that I am very much like you in your feelings and what you state! If you draw a Disability Check but can get out and climb up and down hills, ridges and/or mountains all day to dig Ginseng and haul the roots back out, then more than likely, you are fit enough to hold a job. There are too many of these folks that take Federal, State and other hand-outs because they think it is owed to them. There are even folks that have not worked an honest job a day in their' life that do the same and much of this is inbred into them by other family members that have done or do the same. I am retired now but worked since I was 8 years old and worked continuously from 18 years old until after turning 58 years old. I have had back problems ever since AIT in the U.S. Army at Fort Dix, New Jersey and although my' Doctor stated in 2011, that I am 75% to 85% disabled, I have never claimed any type of disability nor received a check for it or any other type of help. However, I am at a point in my' life which I must try to get some disability compensation through the VA or Social Security Administration as I can no longer work Flea Markets and/or Gun Shows and carry my' heavy totes of inventory back and forth to setup and then to break down. Since I have 8 other people living in my' home besides me, I need something to help us make ends meet. Also, my 2014 Ginseng season will likely be very limited as my' back has been out for almost three weeks now and I can't climb up most slopes of hills, ridges or mountains more than 100 yards, if even that.

I can't give an good and honest answer to your question about planting green berries as I have never done so before! What I have done, is carefully snip the tops of plants with green berries and move them to a location where there is no Ginseng growing but will grow there. I then punch holes 4 to 6 inches deep with a small sturdy stick, place the stems in the hole and tamp then tightly so they will not blow over or out of the holes. I believe that there is enough life left in the top and the soil may provide what else is needed to allow the seeds to ripen and then fall off on their own. If possible, I will return to harvest the ripened berries and plant them. The funny part is and especially so, if you have a camera recording where you placed the tops, is the expression and cursing that you will see in the pics from a poacher digging up the tops only to find no root. A friend and myself did something similar to this when digging in the National Forest near here back in 1997. We found and dug probably more than 100 big 3 prong and 4 prong plants and placed the tops back in the holes where we dug the roots and groomed the area to look as if no one had been there. While digging more than 100 yards further up the mountain in the early afternoon, some Ginsengers came in below us and you should have heard them cuss everytime they dug a plant only to find no root. This went on for about a half hour before they finally moved further to the left out the mountain but it was comical while it lasted and we were laughing our' butts off, quietly though to keep from being discovered.

Frank

Re:Poachers 9 years 7 months ago #29896

Mshirley, I know someone who just dug and replanted about 50 plants because poachers had found them. He rode in on a 4 wheeler and they heard him and ran before they could dig it all. He decided to relocate the sang because he knew they would come back. This was 9 days ago. He says the plants look fine and the berries are continuing to ripen. He said to just be sure to keep as much dirt on the roots as possible and replant immediately and they should be fine.
Redbeard

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 189 guests and no members online

Login