2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Survival Rate

Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28883

In wild simulated seng what would you guess the average survival rate from seed to a mature harvestable plant be? I know there are alot of facters that play in to it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28884

There are so many factors, it's really a tough question to answer. If the seed is good, and you plant it where other seng is already growing, and there are no deer/turkey/squirrels/slugs to bother it, and the weather is good for 10 years, and there are no fungus or disease present, and no poachers find it, and they don't log out your woods, you could probably get 80% or higher. :) But it's not likely you'll find a location like that.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just wanted to point out how many stars need to align to get ginseng to grow.

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28885

I was figuring 25 percent if i was lucky.

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28886

25% is probably high for 10+ years, maybe if you dug in 6-8 years. I think it is more in the single digit to low teen percentage. I consider wild-simulated to have no fungicides,chemicals,pesticides ever. but others have their own ideas on what wild-sim should be.

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28887

In Scotts book he suggest planting 4-5 seeds per sq ft, and to expect something like 1-2 per sq ft, to make it to harvest.

He conditioned that with it being a \"good location\".

If you planted 5 and got 1... that would be 20%
If you planted 4 and got 2... that would be 50%

I would have to add to that (good location) condition, that you will probably have to be willing to spray fungicides on a regular basis to get that kind of survival rate if you plant that thick.

At least I can say that would be true of my place.

TNhunter

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28960

Furbearing pests seem to be minimized by normal country gardening methods. A few tin can alarms, some scattered dryer sheets, a sprinkling of human hair and the frequent scent of cordite do wonders. Turkeys though have overrun the area and seem to be deterred only by my dogs or the generous application of bird shot. A friend suggested a battery radio on a timer or motion sensor, I think I will try that this fall.

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28994

10% is probably average, 30% would be really lucky in true wild simulated planting

Re:Survival Rate 9 years 9 months ago #28995

I agree 100%. 10% at best in true wild simulated.
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 191 guests and no members online

Login