2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts?

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27505

Now that hopefully the last Episode of Appalachian Oulaws has aired, I will make what I expect to be my last comment about the Show. My comment will be only about Mike Ross' actions in the last Episode as these were the most significant part concerning it. While the Producers may have felt that showing Mike Ross trying to deter the poachers at night by shooting not at them but in their direction, then retreating like a coward was entertaining to some, I must say that it was not. If this was real life and not made up Hollywood theactrics, Mike would have had every right to defend not only his' Ginseng and property from poachers but also his life. To attempt to defend such and then retreat was literally telling the poachers that they can have run of Mike's property, steal his' Ginseng and threaten his life anytime they want. Mike had the advantage as he was concealed with no light (other than the camera imposed lighting) while the poachers were running through the woods with flashlights making them easy targets. I think I counted 5 flashlight beams coming through the woods, so apparently there were 5 persons probably with guns. However, Mike had an AR-15 with a 30 round clip/magazine and if fully loaded, that many bullets coming through the woods at you, is a very significant deterrent in itself. Once the poachers began firing at him, he had every right to shoot back in defense and take down some or all of them. In other words, to do whatever it takes to stop their advance, to stop their shooting, to stop their threat to his life and to stop their poaching. Mike could have made a well placed shot or two, moved so the advancing poachers could not hone in on his location, shoot again, then move again. Once he injured one or more of the advancing poachers, they would more than likely retrieve their comrades in crime and retreated. The big problem with Mike Ross' problem with the poachers, is that in real life, Law Enforcement should have been involved as soon as the poaching problem started.

I am sorry to stir things up again since talk about this Show has been very limited and quite for some time now! I just had to get this off my' craw per see and express how I viewed what was aired.

Frank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27507

I agree with you Frank. Though the show is no doubt heavily scripted, and I think that particular scene is proof of that. I find it interesting that there is almost a complete absence of the law on the show. If I were in Mike Ross' shoes I would of warned them verbally the first time I caught them digging and put up trail cams (if I didn't have them already) If I saw poachers out their again I would have called the police.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27510

I haven't watched the show since the first two or three episodes. It sounds like they really drummed up some drama on that last one. I don't know about the show but I'm ready for some warmer weather and crappie fishing and maybe some gold prospecting. I'm already itching for ginseng season, got a couple new land prospects for next season. I think I may do some more pre season scouting to make the limited harvesting time more profitable. Of course even being out there hunting is profitable enough for me, but the money is definitely nice especially around the holidays. Hopefully, if this show has sparked any new interest in poaching and trespassing it will have died out by time September rolls around. I'm not to worried, when they see how much work goes into finding and digging them roots that will put an end to a lot of that, lol.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27511

I watched some of each episode of the show, I didn't care for it, and I sure without a doubt that it was almost entirely fake. That being said, the 6 episode test season for the show had viewer numbers rise each week, and the final show had over 2.5 million viewers and ranked #10 for it's Thursday night timeslot. The History Channel has given the thumbs up to many shows with far less viewership and ratings than this. I'm sad to say that I'm fairly confident you will see a 12 - 18 episode season 2 coming next year.

Sadly, I think this is not going to be a fly-by-night show. I think we're going to have our industry screwed up for 3-5 years. I really hope I'm wrong.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27513

Hello Folks..just a quick note Mortis on the Neilson numbers..whether you like the show or not the production company knows how to put a show that people will tune in to watch.
In its 6 episodes it was the #1 show cable network show in its time slot 5 times. And 4 of 6 nights was the # 2 cable show of the entire day. The lowest amount of viewers was around 2.55 million and topped at 2.98 million... Not bad for a 10:00 pm show . Pawn Stars was the #1 show BTW at 9 :00 pm.
I spoke with Billy and anyone else who wanted to talk with me about how to improve first impressions and stewardship into the story line next season. See you don't complain to the History Channel or A&E if you have concerns. .they have lawyers and are covered and if the show is making money they couldn't care less. But when their star buyer says it's going to be a certain way or else ..then things happen.
I will sit down and tell ( and have pointed out already) them some things they can do to ensure good harvesting practices and suggestions on starting a personal ginseng patch . They can blend those things right in the show and it won't change a thing with any story lines at all.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27514

Strong Prong, you are the only contact most of us have with anything related to the show. I know (for me at least) that having someone involved with the show that cares as much about treating the plant with respect, as they do about making $$$, provides some comfort. I hope that the show next season tries to add some general information and typical caring diggers to the episodes, along with the Hollywood drama.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27515

Wow Strong Prong you really don't get it.
The way this show has portrayed the ginseng industry is disgusting. Now thanks to that gaggle of foodstamp drawing felons, every grower will have to upgrade their security or risk having their ginseng stolen. You would feel the same way as most of us growers here if someone made a show about how easy it would be to drive a dumptruck thru those warehouse doors between september 1 and nov 30 and made off with a couple a 3 barrels of sang. I mean what ya got there a chainlink fence and a warehouse? if 5 men wearing ski mask and sporting ak47s drove a truck thru the gate how good would your security be? Im suprised some of those poachers your dealing with haven't already scoped it out. Oh well happy upgrades

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27516

Mortis wrote:

I watched some of each episode of the show, I didn't care for it, and I sure without a doubt that it was almost entirely fake. That being said, the 6 episode test season for the show had viewer numbers rise each week, and the final show had over 2.5 million viewers and ranked #10 for it's Thursday night timeslot. The History Channel has given the thumbs up to many shows with far less viewership and ratings than this. I'm sad to say that I'm fairly confident you will see a 12 - 18 episode season 2 coming next year.

Sadly, I think this is not going to be a fly-by-night show. I think we're going to have our industry screwed up for 3-5 years. I really hope I'm wrong.

Mortis,
The ginseng episodes have run their course, im lookin forward to the new format of shows that will come from this pilot:

Hiztory Channel Strikes Gold with Appalachian Outlaws.
Yep Just when you think you’ve made it thru all the poaching episodes and it couldn’t possibly get any hillbillyer, the redneck rampage continues for yet another award winning season.
Introducing “Appalachian Outlaws, Real Housewives Edition.”
Episode 1. The Cuzin wife
Episode 2. Wats fer Supper Bitch?
Episode 3. Toothless and Ruthless
Episode 4. Does this bucket of chitlins make me look fat?
Episode 5. My you sure got a pretty possum.
But wait there’s more……..
Rounding out the Trilogy…..ummm that means 3…
Hiztory Channel unveils its final Masterpiece:
Appalachian Outlaws “Courthouse Edition”Join our new cast of characters and a few old members as they navigate their way thru the Appalachian legal system.
Episode 1. I dinnit no poachin was stealin?
Episode 2. You dig it, ill buy it.
Episode 3. A mulch pile a blue tarp.
Episode 4. Life on the DRAW. or Professional Foodstampin.
I could go on and on....Call me History channel if you need some more ideas.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27518

Mortis,
The ginseng episodes have run their course, im lookin forward to the new format of shows that will come from this pilot:

Hiztory Channel Strikes Gold with Appalachian Outlaws.
Yep Just when you think you’ve made it thru all the poaching episodes and it couldn’t possibly get any hillbillyer, the redneck rampage continues for yet another award winning season.
Introducing “Appalachian Outlaws, Real Housewives Edition.”
Episode 1. The Cuzin wife
Episode 2. Wats fer Supper Bitch?
Episode 3. Toothless and Ruthless
Episode 4. Does this bucket of chitlins make me look fat?
Episode 5. My you sure got a pretty possum.
But wait there’s more……..
Rounding out the Trilogy…..ummm that means 3…
Hiztory Channel unveils its final Masterpiece:
Appalachian Outlaws “Courthouse Edition”Join our new cast of characters and a few old members as they navigate their way thru the Appalachian legal system.
Episode 1. I dinnit no poachin was stealin?
Episode 2. You dig it, ill buy it.
Episode 3. A mulch pile a blue tarp.
Episode 4. Life on the DRAW. or Professional Foodstampin.
I could go on and on....Call me History channel if you need some more ideas.

Or you could just drive through Tennessee and see all this in real life, lol. You do realize that most people realize this is just a show right K duce? Most people are smart enough to know this. Don't get to paranoid now, :laugh:

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27519

Wildspirit.
Yes i do realize it is just a show, a very dumb show, i think i have actually lost IQ points just being exposed to the characters on there. Reality is much grimmer than is being portrayed, just last year a poacher was shot by a 78 yr old ginseng grower with a AK47 then thrown in a creek bed, the drug out of the creek bed thru the woods, wrapped in a blue tarp then buried in a mulch pile. thats the reality.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds

Who's Online

We have 634 guests and no members online

Login