2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts?

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27791

Maybe someone mentioned it, but in the last episode the guy from Georgia brings in fresh seng to Coffman and Coffman says he's going to pay him $1000 a pound for green? Did I here that right?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27794

I think Strong Prong can elaberate if he cares to do so, but I might quote $1000/lb (which I paid last season at one point) but then back that down to green price. If I had to guess, I would say that is what happened but the TV people probably edited the rest out for dramatic effect.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 10 years 1 month ago #27802

That's about the truth of it Castle.. they filmed him selling fresh and dry and used the dry price on both. The editors back in Burbank, Ca. don't know the difference between fresh and dry..it's all Ginseng to them.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 9 years 2 months ago #34341

I think American outlaws promotes poaching Ginseng. I had always noticed the ginseng buying prices in fur fish and game and whatever i looked at as I hunt alot. Didnt even know what ginseng looked like. When I saw it on American outlaws I realized I have seen this plant all over the woods and sometimes in large patches. Dont worry, I will follow the rules and replant the seeds and not dig any thing smaller than a 3 prong (NYS law) lol. its just like hunting wild game to me, If I want to continue to do this I must protect the future generations.
But because of this show I am afraid there will be alot more poaching going on, now that people know about it.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 9 years 2 months ago #34350

I think most agree with you Rich. However, as I said previously, I think there is both good and bad sides to this show. The portrayal of characters is not exactly showing them as upstanding honest and caring about their fellow man much less the future of ginseng.

I think honest folks will continue to be honest folks regardless of the show. I think, however, that the dishonest folks might see ginseng as another opportunity in addition to copper pipe and wiring from your house and power tools you left out on the back porch overnight.

On the good side, I've seen some responsible thinking folks come to the community as a result of the show. Likewise, talking to the LE folks, people in the past might have wondered about a pickup parked on a back road near a woodlot before hunting seasons, but now because of the show, they think its a ginseng poacher and are more likely to call. The tips coming into the Ohio Division of Wildlife have dramatically increased this past year.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 9 years 2 months ago #34354

yeah but there is so many people who want a get rich scheme and destroy whats out there. I am going to start digging this year but have researched it and will treat it as I do my hunting and fishing (preserve future generations) cant take it all or there will be none for the future! Only bad thing is now...all my fun stuff begins at the start of Sept. salmon start running, bird seasons are starting, bow season starts...and now I want to add Ginseng to it all lol. good thing all my other activities have shown me where to find the ginseng. I have over 1000 acres I can dig in and its all private land. I dont know anyone in my area that digs Ginseng

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 9 years 2 months ago #34364

Umm.. you guys are posting to a post that is a year old! Easy to do that.. done it myself before.

Re:Watched American Outlaw? Your thoughts? 9 years 1 month ago #34672

I find it interesting that with all the law breaking that goes on it seems like everyone just happens to respect when the season begins and there's no illegal summer digging, basically because it wouldn't be convenient for the film crews to come there that time of year :-)

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 721 guests and no members online

Login