* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A question of right and wrong

A question of right and wrong 11 years 9 months ago #18239

Hi all,
I have a dilemma that has me wondering what others would do in this situation....

The area I've been hunting near my property for the past few years is marked for strip mining to remove the coal. This isnt about strip mining or coal use, it's their land I just have permission to hunt on it.
I knew this was coming so I've hunted it pretty hard but obeyed the law and left all the young and undersized stuff behind. I'll still have this season to hunt most of it and my question is should I try to relocate the smaller plants to my property where it will be safe or leave it to be buried by the bulldozer? By moving it I would be violating the law (as I read it) but leaving it seems ....so wrong....
I'll definitely be moving the larger plants but this will be leaving hundreds of 2 prongs and 3 leafers behind.....
Anyway,, thought you guys might have some thoughts on this.... not even sure I'd have time to do it.....

Thanks

Randy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 9 months ago #18240

If the area is going to be stripped clean then I would dig every last root in there and replant somewhere else. \"United Plant Savers\" is a group of people that does just what you are asking about. I think you can even get a permit or permission from local or state officials in a situation like this.
Latt

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 9 months ago #18242

I have to agree with both you and Latt. Save the plants.

Sometimes laws are just ... well... it would be politest to write \"inapproiate\". there's lots of other words one can use here!

If the property is going to be mutilated, and since the plant is near endangered, and there is no other way to save it from that land desiccation... And, If you are worried about violating the law, then just be covert. Secretive... \"sneaky\" comes to mind. Having a place to move it to would be good.

'Course I never encourage anyone to violate the laws. This is all just parenthetical, you understand... LOL

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 9 months ago #18243

I'd suggest first contacting your state's ginseng coordinator. I'm sure that Latt is correct about being able to get a special permit to save ginseng plants from certain peril. I'm not sure how easy this would be to get. If that route fails then perhaps other options or avenues ought be explored.

Not that I disagree with Whit's assessment of certain laws being \"innapropriate\". Just going with the Cover Your Arse approach. :whistle:

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 9 months ago #18244

I definately agree with whitj. Dig all you can and replant them. Usually dealing with the authorities over something like this is more trouble than its worth.

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18246

I would just move em...asking permission may cause more aggravation for you than necessary and place someone's eye on you, you already said it would be a lengthy endeavor anyhow. If worse comes to worse I'm sure you could explain your reasons for doing so if you were caught and as long as its not some young punk game warden looking for another notch in his belt then you would be fine.

Hillhopper

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18247

Everyone here has a valid argument.

I would suggest you follow 5prong's advice. Get hold of your state's coordinator and give them the layout. If they say no, then the answer is no. The last thing you want to do after getting a negative answer is to do it anyway.

If you just move them, a judge might agree with your reasoning if you get caught (and have pictures to prove just what you did).

Another way to look at it, is see what the local fine for something like that is and decide if you are willing to pay that fine before you get involved in the issue.

Tough situation for sure. Best of luck working it out. (and we don't want to see you post it if you don't get a YES from that state admin 8) )

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18254

That is a tough one. You should try going through all the proper channels. That would be the safest route. If it was my state though they will drag there feet. Then give u permission after the plants die off for the year. Then the place gets leveled before u get a chance to move them. Not to be negative but if it was pa that's how it would go. Honestly if I were you I would move them and not tell anyone.

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18255

Thanks everyone for your replies... they do mean a lot to me.

As far as getting any other organization involved.. probably not a good idea... the company that owns the property (about 1200 acres in this particular tract) would definitely get P.O.'d about it... and I'm employed by that company.... I'm also afraid that by the time I cut through the red tape to get permission it would be far too late.
There is also no way I could ever move every plant by myself in the time frame involved. We are talking about some really steep terrain here...slow walking and a lot of backtracking.
I'll probably just move the larger plants, replant the seeds as they produce over the years to come and move them back to any patches of woods that are left after the reclaiming is done.... and leave it in my will that my kids and grandkids do the same. LOL

Maybe I can save a small portion for future generations. :)

Thanks again ... your opinions really matter.

Randy

Re:A question of right and wrong 11 years 8 months ago #18258

RSkid,
Sounds like that tract has a lot of seng in it. I hope you get all the big ones dug. It would be sad if the little ones were left behind thou. Don't know the answer on how to get the little ones dug and transplanted before they strip the ground clean. Sure hope you figure out how to get the little ones transplanted into a new woods considering all you have stated pertaining the size of the woods and the time frame left. Good luck.
Latt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds

Who's Online

We have 475 guests and no members online

Login