2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1675

not sure what this is but the other prong was snapped off
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1676

The red berries was the only thing there... no other plants around just the berries on the stem

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1678

I am sure that that first oneis jack in the pulpit. Your second photo is some type of weed. The good news is that the jack in the pulpit is a good plant to find while looking for ginseng, it means the soil is right for ginseng to be growing there, too.
I have a good way for you to become familiar with ginseng enough to find it in the wild. look up every [picture you can find on the internet of ginseng plants. go to Hardings Ginseng on the web and just click on all the pictures, keep looking at pictures of ginseng until you're sick of looking at them. Then look at them some more. Study the way the plant forks out from its stem (not too many plants do that) study the shape of the leaves and notice how there are 5 leaves on each stem. It almost looks like a star. just overload your brain with the image of that plant. This is how I trained my wife and she is now as good as I am.
Once you start finding plants you'll soon see that you'll find more and more until it becomes effortless. It's frustrating at first but you will get it. And after a while it will be almost like the ginseng is finding you instead of the other way around. Also, don't rely on the red berries, you'll find some ginseng but not a bunch.
Once you've done your homework, go back to where yo found that jack in the pulpit and look around. I bet you see some ginseng.

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1680

and what is the last pic of??... I will go do that in a few... foing to check out a few places today as well...

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1681

getting ready to head out and not coming back until I find some seng....lol

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1683

that last picture looks to me like virgina creeper. It looks a whole lot like seng it still will fool me ever know and then.

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1685

That last one is ginseng. I'm 100% sure of it.
It's a two-prong laid over. You can see the stem on the ground. Also the two smaller leaves match up with ginseng and not creeper. They also have a different taper than creeper.

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1688

Well Yall I went out today and found my first plant.... will be posting their pics here shortly... The first one is a 3 prong... The funny thing was that I went into the woods infront of my house and there they were....lol...I am so excited I can't see straight....lol....
Attachments:

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1699

Congradulations you are now officially hooked. Good job!
I remember finding my first plant, a little two pronger not worth digging. but hey, it was still ginseng and I found it! Exciting....

Re:I am new to seng hunting... never seen any before. Is this seng 14 years 8 months ago #1700

see lonnie how it fools me. After ukfan said it was seng i took a second look and yeah it definitly looks like it. That is one that would make you take a second look though. I don't want to seem like a dummy i did think it was seng but i wasn't sure. Now those last pics are seng at least it looks like it give us a better pic. that one looks like it was to close. sorry for the misunderstanding thats pretty bad as long as i have been seng hunting to mistake one for creeper. anyways once again sorry for the misunderstanding

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 264 guests and no members online

Login