2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Beekeeping Adventure!

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16383

Latt,

I suppose your right about beekeeping being pretty deep in trying to understand it well.

You mentioned not having the \"knowledge or experience\". It does take some studying. As far as experience, I started out with none. I did have about six months to study up on the subject before the bees arrived.

As far as learning beekeeping frome more than one website. I believe that if you have 12 beekeepers, you will have 6-8 different ways to keep bees. So when you look at different sites you may become confused because of the many different ways of doing things.

I feel it's best to find one reputable site or book and follow their one method from start to finish. The book I found to be easy to follow from installing the bees, first and second inpection, when to add boxes and when not to, all equipment explained, harvest and disease.

Beekeeping, A practical Guide by Richard Bonney

www.amazon.com/Beekeeping-Practical-Guid...Bonney/dp/0882668617

By following one experts methods will keep the confusion down to a minimum. This is the book I started with. And I did have success with his methods.

Whenever you start bees, I think you will find it so facinating that you will be hooked on bees.

I wish you well!

Whitjr, Thanks for the comment. I'm not Brave, just CRAZY!

classicfur

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16389

Classicfur,
Good post, im hooked already, i think i may try to get some bees this spring and give it a try. I always like a good challenge anyway.

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16390

Funny that you posted this Classic. I just ordered some mason bees for my orchard. They are a lot easier to care for and better polinators, but don't produce honey. I'd like to have some honey bees but just don't have the time. Good luck makin honey!

Do you have a bear problem there? I know most beekeepers around here have the hives fenced off.

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16391

K_duce

I hear your excitement in wanting to try bees. You say your \"hooked already\". Give it one season and you will Really be Hooked! Good Luck!

Maya

I've heard of Mason Bees, but not sure what they are. Do you keep them in a regular wooden box hive?

Bears will more than likely be a problem. And yes a fence is the easiest way to keep them out.

classicfur

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16402

On my third year Beekeeping. Read lots of info off the net and books nothing like the hands on experience. Very interesting hobby. Have two hives and looking to do some splits this spring to expand. If anybody is looking for bee's now is the time to order them.

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16407

trahn007

Yes, it's a very facinating hobby.

Splits are a great way to create more hives. Just make sure the colony you split is strong enough to be divided.

Ordered my bees last monday.

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16410

Classicfur,
I saw this video on setting up the hive. You said there are many ways to do bee keeping. Is this a typical way to set up a hive?

Thanks,
Latt

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16411

Latt

It's the method I use with slight differences.

Classicfur

I ordered a package couple days back also, if all is well after the winter I will just use them for another hive. It's to late if you have a winter die off to get one.

Good forum on Beekeeping with alot of interesting reading.... forum.beemaster.com/index.php

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16413

Trahn007,
I did check the beekeeping forum out and I really appreciate you posting it. It seems amazingly similar to this forum in many ways only it's obviously about bees. Looks like I will have a new forum to study up on and learn from during the next few cold months.
Thanks again Classicfur for getting this topic started and thanks Trahn007 for posting the beekeeping forum link.
Link,
Latt

Re:My Beekeeping Adventure! 12 years 2 months ago #16415

classicfur wrote:

K_duce

I hear your excitement in wanting to try bees. You say your \"hooked already\". Give it one season and you will Really be Hooked! Good Luck!

Maya

I've heard of Mason Bees, but not sure what they are. Do you keep them in a regular wooden box hive?

Bears will more than likely be a problem. And yes a fence is the easiest way to keep them out.

classicfur

All they do is reproduce, polinate and die. You can drill 5/8\" x 6\" holes in blocks of wood or fill pvc pipes w/ 5/8\" straws. The female finds these holes and lays her eggs in them for the next years emergance. She seals of the holes with mud, thus the term \"mason\" bee.

www.google.com/search?q=mason+bee+vidios...7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 675 guests and no members online

Login