Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turkey's are breaking my sang!

Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1578

• Digger
  • Digger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Anyone have a suggestion to keep Turkey's away from my patch? I have tried light brush, they just jump on it and end up breaking the stems! They just recently moved into the area, and they must love the seeds!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1581

just shoot them problem solved. All jokes aside fish and wildlife usually will let you kill any animal any time of the year if it is destryoing your crop. I don't know if they consider ginseng a crop or not but it would be something to check into. Maybe you could make a scarecrow like people put in a garden to scare all of the crows away. It should work for a little while at least. Or you could start baiting them into another area with corn but you would have to check your state regulations and that would also run into some money. Anway good luck with getting rid of them, maybe one of my ideas will work.

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1586

Here you can shoot any animal that is harming your crop, within reason, seed loss don't sound like one of them.
So find out where they roost and scatter a little crushed wet corn, wait for them to fly down, always just after sun rise, and with a 1000fps pellet gun plug'em in the head. Some things have to be done quiet. The young ones are real tender.

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1623

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Sounds like a tasty way to solve a serious problem,,,e-mail me for some great wild turkey recipes :)

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1624

Digger, last year I had a flock go thru a patch and they scratched it up pretty bad except for an area under a blow down. Those plants were fine. Maybe spreading some branches around the outside of patch may help. Turkeys do not like thicker areas, they use there eyesight to help against preditors.

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1625

• Digger
  • Digger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks to everyone who gave advice on the tukey problem! I do eat turkeys but there are more than 30 in this group so obviously I am not going to kill them all. An old farmer gave me another suggestion that also works - tie 30 pound test fishing line about a foot off the ground back and forth between some trees. It backs them off like you would not beleive! I have seen them run into it and they change direction! Also- jest a couple of weeks away from sang huntin' time, woohoo!!!

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1780

I like the fishing line trick, very clever. As to crop damage and protection, every state will vary I am sure but, here in PA, you must be making a certain percentage of your main income from the crop to qualify as crop damage , giving you the right to shoot the animal. Best to know the rules in your home state. Then shoot the buggers off the roost! Just kidding... sort of.

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1792

• jeff cochran
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
if you shoot turkeys out of season you better hope they dont have game trackers in them where they track flock because i know a guy that got in trouble for that.

Re:Turkey's are breaking my sang! 14 years 7 months ago #1798

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
I agree with Dieselrider the fishing line is a great trick.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 342 guests and no members online

Login