• Page:

TOPIC: need help with identification

Re:need help with identification 14 years 10 months ago #1300

• Joy Irwin
  • Joy Irwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi all,
OK, I think I'm getting this now. The last round of questions was a way to eliminate some of the stuff I see on our place. So now I know what I'm not looking for. I still haven't found what I am looking for, but I know i saw it before, of course i haven't been out in the woods, I've just been right there around the house. The house is in the woods, but I mow around here, not much, but alittle. I think my best time to hunt will be during bloom time.
Does anyone know if my chickens are going to cause me problems with the ginseng? Like do chickens eat ginseng? I appreciate all you answers to my questions.
JOY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:need help with identification 14 years 10 months ago #1301

joy on the chickens i really don't know if they will eat it or not. They may eat the berries though. Another problem you might have with them is where a chicken likes to scratch a lot. This may cause a problem with the young seng they may scratch it up. They shouldn't bother older seng though. A lot of people have problem with deer on the forum eating the berries and the leaves, me myself I have never had any problems with animals eating the plants or berries. The only problem i have ever had is with voles and they nearly destroyed a patch by eating the roots. On your hunting time joy you may want to check on your states regulations each state has its own season on when to go. Anyway it is a good stewardship practice to wait until the berries get ripe before digging a plant. That is why each state puts a season on ginseng hunting to try and make sure all berries are ripe. All the info you need on seasons and good stewardship practices is on this website. Once again hope i have helped you keep them questions coming and i will help you to the best of my knowledge.

Re:need help with identification 14 years 10 months ago #1303

• Joy Irwin
  • Joy Irwin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I think the digging season is from the middle of August to the middle of December. My goal right now is to find it and identify it, so I don't let the horses or chickens or anything else destroy it! We used to see so many deer here when we came and camped, now that we live here with the dogs we don't see too many wild critters. I plan on sticking with the rules and regulations, I figure someone laid them out for a reason. We have people that come in here (our subdivison) and poach wildlife year round, makes me so mad, i don't really want people to discover we have ginseng here, but I imagine that if they grew up here they already know. I think that the poachers are locals that think it's their God given right to hunt this mountain whenever and wherever they want to,regardless of who owns what or what any law says.
Hope the chickens don't hurt anything,they hang around the house mostly. They can wreck the garden in just a few minutes so if they like ginseng I will have a problem I'm sure. I'm going to make time tomorrow to go for a nice long walk in the woods. I'll let you know if i find what I'm looking for! thanks!!!!
JOY

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds

Who's Online

We have 171 guests and no members online

Login