• Page:

TOPIC: plott hound

plott hound 15 years 4 days ago #1224

• Guy
  • Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • BSMGinseng.com
Last month we picked up a plott hound pup, hear they originated down there in the mountains of N.Carolina back in the late 1700's by some mountain men for bear huntin. He's all brindle with a hound shaped body and a small head with big floppin ears. Anyone heard much about this breed? He's a friggin handful and loves the bush but still runs back to MOMA when a critter catches his eye.

Guy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:plott hound 14 years 10 months ago #1285

• Joy Irwin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Guy,
I actually have a plott hound. his name is Ozzie and he is also a handful. I would love to have another one, but I have a 2 hound limit, and already have Oz and a beagle/basset mix. I have 6 dogs, all rescues. I read somewhere that they have a strangely high pitched voice for a hound and he really does, it's very distinct. I can pick him out of the group when they're off and running. With 6 dogs you can imagine I do alot of keeping up with dogs on this mountain. We built kennels for them to go in at night and when we leave, the rest of the time they hang with me, I have a pack. Oz is very smart, very FAST and he can jump like nothing I've ever seen.I would definately say is is a high drive dog. He is as gentle as a kitten, actually he loves kittens, but he is fiercely protective of me and the cats and the chickens. He is a clown too, he definately has personality. I often say Ozzie is the total entertainment package.I try not to leave him to his own devices too long as he is sure to find something to do and sometimes he will cause trouble, out of boredom, not meanness. He weighs in at 70 pounds give or take a few pounds.
A neighbor stopped by here shortly after we moved here a year ago, first he wanted to buy him, I said no way, then he wanted to just use him for breeding and was very upset when I told him that Oz was neutered. This man has 17 plotts. Wanted Ozzie for new bloodlines I guess. I love all my dogs, but will readily admit Ozzie is special, I've had him since he was 2 weeks old. His mother died.I could talk dog all day and night, I know alittle about alot of things I know alot about 1 thing and that is dogs. I've always had them always will, God willing. The dogs are one of the biggest reasons we moved out here in the middle of nowhere. I tell people that hounds are in the blood, like a sickness. Since this is an off topic conversation feel free to e-mail me, I don't want to take up space on the board.
JOY

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 577 guests and no members online

Login