Re:Difference in Ginseng 12 years 8 months ago #11692

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Beautiful Trev

TNhunter wrote:

RAF,

Wow that is a nice root but what really makes it special is the age and how all of those roots developed and then branched over and another developed and another and another, and you can see all of the root necks with scars in between.

It really does not fit the description of \"bulby or corky\" but the age and the fact that you can see the age in the timeline with all of those root neck scars is what makes that one EXTRA SPECIAL.

FTB,

Not all of our seng is like the big bulby roots in that picture. In deep shade on the average wooded hillside I find a lot of seng like you are describing 8-10\" tall mostly sort of spindly 3 prongs with roots of 1/4 oz or less even if very old.

In fact if you look at that picture again, the 4 small roots to the right of that 20.00 were found on a north facing hillside in deep timber shade, soil type was mostly clay and they were 20+ years old and weighed less than 1/4 oz.

But just about 1/4 mile from the spot where those 4 small old roots were found, there is a place where a limestone bluff is just above the creek and at that point the bluff is facing due east. All of those big bulby roots were found on that bluff, they were getting really good morning sun, but no direct evening sun. The soil on that bluff was filled with rock chips and I expect very high in calcium.

Here is a couple more pics showing those bluff roots I found that day.

Like someone said earlier - Location, Location, Location.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Difference in Ginseng 12 years 8 months ago #11694

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
A couple beautys :) I have many photos but I will share these two and say this it is a blessing of God to have and find such ginseng no matter where you live or where your from,it is Gods heritage to us all and his gift,whether New York,Tn,Al,Ky,Va,and all other states have the best or not or whether our states is best or not,matters not,what is important is the gift and it is wonderful no matter where you are from.

Thank God for it all,and if I run out I will buy some from you :)

Billy.

Attachments:

Re:Difference in Ginseng 12 years 8 months ago #11695

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Just for the record I am very fond of Kentucky Ginseng :)

This is the oldest and rarest root that I have ever new of in my life a friend of mine Rick shared this with me.It was aroud 96 years old if my memories right and had three 4 prong tops and they where all big tops and all of the roots conected together with one steam as RAF`s root pictured above did.

There is more root and curl below the hand in the photo.

Attachments:

Re:Difference in Ginseng 12 years 8 months ago #11703

Billy

Thats a nice root....If I'd ever picked something like that I would have to build a glass case for it.I know I wouldn't beable to sale it.

Some impressive roots for sure............

Re:Difference in Ginseng 12 years 8 months ago #12017

It's mostly about soil types, if you think about it in a scientific way. Here, a 6\" tall stalk is as good as it gets usually. We have a lot of clay here in S.E. IN. Small plants and small roots, but they are of various shapes, not all slender etc.

As a comparison, you can't grow carrots here in your garden. If you get any at all, they're deformed as the clay just won't let them grow to look like store bought carrots.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds

Who's Online

We have 173 guests and no members online

Login