* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbie Alert

Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11442

Hello All,

I am new to the ginseng world and I just wanted to post some questions to see if there is any advice out there. I am starting to plant this fall in Upstate NY. I have a friend who has been into Ginseng for 15 yrs now so he is a lot of help but still needed a couple of pointers from any one who can share any tips. I plan on planting about 3/4 of an acre of seeds and rootlets. When I went out to prep the land I came upon about 6 wild plants that I will be picking during the upcoming season. I need to know where to sell such a small amount to as this site does not have any upstate NY dealers. Also any first timer pointers would be greatfully appreciated. I will make sure to post from time to time how I am doing.

Thank you all

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11444

Try to find more before you dig. The money from that amount would not be much unless they are big. I make small fences for plants to keep deer and such away. One good thing if plants are already there you have a good spot. Good luck.

Re:Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11445

Welcome,
I would leave those 6-wild plants there and plant their wild berries along with the seed you are going to purchase. 6-wild roots are only worth about $2.00 a piece dried if they are average in size. However, those same wild plants can produce around 50 seeds per plant. So those 300 seeds total per year from those 6 plants will give you a better return for your money in the long run if you use them for seed production. Plus you will be cross pollinating the wild genetics into the purchased seeds genetics offspring eventually.

My advise to you is talk to your buddy that has been planting for 15 years as often as possible and read post on this forum \"old and new\" as much as possible. And of course you can buy Scott Persons book on growing ginseng.

www.amazon.com/American-ginseng-W-Scott-Persons/dp/0914875167

Good luck.
Latt

Re:Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11447

Gotspiccoli,were you at in upstate?Alleghany Mt. Ginseng is on the Pa. N.Y line and buys NY and Pa. ginseng you can call Dale Smith at 814 225 3452. good luck on your plantings. i live in Cattaraugus Co.

Re:Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11450

Yeap I agree with the others.To me it's more Valuable to watch it grow right now than to dig it.With it just setting and Growing and Producing more seed is worth a whole lot.

Re:Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11482

I agree with Latt, Scott Petersons book is so helpful and so are the many tips you will find here in the forum. You can learn a lot from your friend who has had that many years of trial and error. I think there are a lot of hurtles on the road to successful wild simulated growing. Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't forget the sawdust.

Re:Newbie Alert 12 years 7 months ago #11484

Theirs not really nothing else i can tell you bub. But to just agree with everyone else the biggest thing i would say is to buy the book, i also have a copy myself, and just visit the forum every chance you get.

A lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge, if we cant help you we can at least point you in a good direction.

Also bub welcome to the forum and good luck on the planting.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds

Who's Online

We have 165 guests and no members online

Login