2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Morel Mushroom Hunting

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9380

TN,
Yes poplar is a great host tree and forgot to mention that sorry. It is one of the top 5 trees for many. I like them as well. I have always done well with hickory too. Many say they do well with sycamore later in the morel season.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9393

Latt,

Thanks for the help and details on how to store them/freeze them.

Hope I get to use that some day.

On the False Morel's - I had alread read about that some.

What I read said that the Morel stem is hollow, but the false Morel will have a solid stem.

Do you have any other tips on ID'n the false morel ?

The one I found the other day looked just like the pics I see online, and the ones you and shroomy included on this post and when I cut it off the stem was hollow.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9395

Well - I got out this evening and walked out the last big hollow here on my place - spent a couple hours and came home again with a empty bag :-(

Now that I know not to look around dead oak trees, my looking spots were greatly reduced - covered a lot more ground but still no luck.

I only found 4-5 dead poplar trees and they were all quite small - largest about 6\" in diameter.

Found one dead hickory, about 1 foot in diameter but no morels under it either.

Found no ash or elm or sycamore (live or dead) - just don't have those here on my place.

Think that may be the main problem here on my home place, just not many of the right kind of trees and most of the poplar and hickory seem to be doing well - very few dead.

I may try to get out to my other land this weekend, it has some larger creek bottoms in it and will have more poplar and hickory and may have some ash and elm.

Not giving up yet :-)

TNhunter

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9399

TN,
Yes it is too bad but Oaks do not host Morels. Good news is if you have that many Oaks, more than likely you will have other edible mushrooms in the mid to late summer and then again Early Fall through the late Late Fall.

I can ID many mushrooms but I only eat less than a dozen different kinds. Oak trees are a great host tree for Chanterelles in the mid through late summer.Then Oaks will host another one of my favorites the \"Hen of the Woods\". Here is a link on the \"Hen of the Woods\" AKA Maitake mushroom and then the Chanterelles.

theforagerpress.com/fieldguide/octfd.htm

www.mushroom-appreciation.com/chanterelle-mushrooms.html

Way back when, I realized Morel season was such a short season and I really enjoyed mushroom hunting. So I educated myself about other edible mushrooms. So check these two out and you my have some on your property with all of those oaks you have.

Morel is the best in my book. But Chanterelles and \"Hen of the Woods\" are both in my top 5 and are really great for cooking in many recipes.

I'll let you know when the Chanterelles are up here in Ohio.

If you are interested in Mushrooms, let me know and I can help you out with some sites to go to. I know this is a ginseng forum and I do not want to get to side tracked. But I think most of us on here love the outdoors and welcome anything relating to hunting, trapping, fishing etc.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9401

Sound like an expert to me! :)

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9402

Well seeing how I have only found 6 mushrooms so far with 6 trips into the woods, I would declare it's safe to say I am no expert. So anyone taking my advice, please keep this in mind.

To anyone wanting to learn about mushrooms.
That's why the internet has it's limitations on educating ones self as I had mentioned in a previous post. People should be learn about mushrooms from many available sources such as Mushroom field guides, other old time mushroom hunters passing down their knowledge, and the internet. You will find consistencies as well as inconsistencies and determine what is good info verses bad info over time.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9408

found these this morning mostly under cedar trees
Attachments:

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9431

Mushrooms are finally up. 157 in a couple hours tonight. Should be even better tomorrow. Sunny all day today and plenty of rain yesterday.
Latt

Attachments:

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9437

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Guys I was checking out this thread I decided to share some pictures of me and my Grand Daughters Morrels from this past week with you all,Now thats the best looking morrel hunting pardner I have :o)

Attachments:

Re:Morel Mushroom Hunting 12 years 11 months ago #9438

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
These where sure some beautiful Yellows
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Who's Online