2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: different colors

different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6141

hey yall
I've dugg a couple dozen roots, all on the same patch on hillside, and some of them are drying different colors than the others. Almost a dark purple-grey. Most of the one's that are drying that color are my thicker roots. Is it the soil? or something different affecting this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6145

Don't think I have ever seen seng dry and change colors like that (not a dark purple type color).

My big roots and smaller roots all look about the same color wise when dry.

How did you dry them ?

I just let mine dry slow over 3-4 weeks indoors (HVAC system air space) 72-73 degrees and it just turns sort of a light golden brown color.

TNhunter

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6148

Not to be rude but are you sure there sang and if they are did you put them on colored newspaper or are they leaching color out of what you put them on

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6149

i've got all of them drying at room temp. in my shop,.....pretty relative to the outside temp. but dry. i just wonder if it isn't the soil or something that they were in. that's all i can think of.

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6151

naw, i've got them drying on some disposible shop towels, and yeah, i'm sure they're seng. if i had some picture's available i would show

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6171

sorry dont mean to question your sang, I have just seen some interesting things over the years. Soil does do some funny things, I have a couple of valleys I dig in that have alot of clay and the roots dry a rusty red color, might be the soil

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6190

it also may be mold or early stages of rot. sometimes too much moisture during the drying or in the soil during the latter part of the season causes this. i would check the taughtness of the root to be sure this isnt the case. otherwise, im not of much help. i have never seen any discoloration other than the shade of red/brown due to soil variation.

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6256

here are a couple of the roots i was referring to
Attachments:

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6269

how bizarre! definitely looks like a soil/water problem.... but i've never seen anything like that before... sorry man!

Re:different colors 13 years 6 months ago #6323

hopefully it don't effect price too bad

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 106 guests and no members online

Login