2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ginseng Season Open In Kentucky 2010

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 8 months ago #4625

Nice i know your not out there today....But Rain is a good thing..
and thanks for letting us get a little bit of that rain too...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 8 months ago #4630

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
RedDog thanks,

You are right it is raining to hard for me today and even tho im off work today because of it I still didnt go its just to hard of a rain today.

I am glad that you are getting some rain,maybe that will perk up some of them plants for you and keep them standing stronger for awhile.Hope you get sevral more rains in the next mounth it would shore make the difference wouldnt it ?

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 8 months ago #4641

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I forgot topost this picture that is a nice pod it will be prety when it is all red.
Attachments:

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4645

Hey Billy great find and a good start. I have been once and i went and scouted a place tuesday didn't get to dig much was on the job. But anyways i couldn't hardly walk for the four prongs and big ones at that. Me and my buddy did a quick walk through it only took thirty minutes and i say me and him dug close to a pound. I also pinched i would say about fourty tops off of some young threes and fours. The place is unreal i called it ginseng heaven, me and Terry r going to try and hit it tomorrow. I also dug one awsome man root. Sorry i didn't have a camera but we will tomorrow. Terry took a pic of the man root i am going to get him to post it on here today. I kept it alive. Every root we dug on average was at least 30 plus years old. So hopefully if nothing comes up we should have some good pics tomorrow or here shortly. Also sorry guys for not being on here much i have had very little computer access this season.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4650

Billy, seeing all your pictures is really giving me the itch. It's still another couple of weeks before I can go, and I hope when I get out what I find is half as good as what you have. I went out scouting this morning, and it's not looking too promising. It's been super dry in my area (1.75 inches in the last three months) and it's really hurting my ginseng. When I was out, I saw some seng on a hill sloping to the South that was turning yellow and all the berries had fallen off. What's interesting, when I went over to the North sloping hill, the seng was green like it was May, and the berries were full and starting to turn red. The ground on the North side is a little better ground, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Anyway, if this dry spell continues, I may be in for a rough season. It does look like a lot of seng is burning up. I wish I was you guys down South!!!

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4652

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
hillbilly wrote:

Hey Billy great find and a good start. I have been once and i went and scouted a place tuesday didn't get to dig much was on the job. But anyways i couldn't hardly walk for the four prongs and big ones at that. Me and my buddy did a quick walk through it only took thirty minutes and i say me and him dug close to a pound. I also pinched i would say about fourty tops off of some young threes and fours. The place is unreal i called it ginseng heaven, me and Terry r going to try and hit it tomorrow. I also dug one awsome man root. Sorry i didn't have a camera but we will tomorrow. Terry took a pic of the man root i am going to get him to post it on here today. I kept it alive. Every root we dug on average was at least 30 plus years old. So hopefully if nothing comes up we should have some good pics tomorrow or here shortly. Also sorry guys for not being on here much i have had very little computer access this season.

Ah Hillbilly it is good to hear from you I was wondering what you had been up to and Thanks.Man you have stumbled into a grerat spot,I can not wait to se some photos and I know that Terry is happy after a poor start the other day.Man I hope you dig 5 pounds together over their in that area.Always try to take a camera you know how I love heck we all love to see them big ole 4`s :) never gets old.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4653

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Jacquo wrote:

Billy, seeing all your pictures is really giving me the itch. It's still another couple of weeks before I can go, and I hope when I get out what I find is half as good as what you have. I went out scouting this morning, and it's not looking too promising. It's been super dry in my area (1.75 inches in the last three months) and it's really hurting my ginseng. When I was out, I saw some seng on a hill sloping to the South that was turning yellow and all the berries had fallen off. What's interesting, when I went over to the North sloping hill, the seng was green like it was May, and the berries were full and starting to turn red. The ground on the North side is a little better ground, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Anyway, if this dry spell continues, I may be in for a rough season. It does look like a lot of seng is burning up. I wish I was you guys down South!!!

Jacquo I hear ya man I hope the rain decides to come in soon out that way and water all the forage real good.It is not unusal for the northern slopes to keep the seng and other roots green longer during a drout time,but if it does not rain some soon you are rite even the plants on the North side will fall before the time.If it would rain now a few times for you all though they would stand awhile on the north side.Have you got any areas that you hunt where their is a good runing creek that runs even in a dry time ? If so that seng will be up the longest and will most likely last late.Let that be your last hunts after you hit the other spots first because it will allow you a little later hunt.G/L man and I pray the good Lord lets the rain fall soon for you all very soon.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4655

• stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY BEEN FINDING ANY BIG MATURE ROOTS WITH SMALL TOPS

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4674

Thanks Billy. Some of my dad's property has an area with a couple of small springs running through it. I checked them the other day and they're still trickling with water. That's going to be a later in the season spot. There's a new area that I just started hunting, and it also has a spring. This is the biggest, hardest running spring I have ever seen. The dirt around this spring is some of the thickest blackest dirt I have seen around here. You can literally just reach down into the dirt without your digger. The seng isn't thick in this area, but what's there is usually BIG. When I checked this site last, it was practically roaring. I have always joked that I should buy this ground, bottle the water, and retire wealthy. The only problem is that this spring is in such a hole, you have to be part mountain goat to get down to it. The only good thing going right now is I can mark off another day before I can start digging.

Re:Ginseng Season Open In Ky 2010 13 years 7 months ago #4679

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
gg
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online