2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: High Mountain Sengin 2018

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41329

good looking stuff...44...I aint going till after tomorrow or the next day...94 degrees here today...cold front comes through tomorrow night..much cooler I hope....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41330

Thanks chief....yeah, I hear ya! It's brutal down here in the valley, but you get up in the mountains early in the morning it's not to bad. A bit on the humid side but tolerable. I'll tell you one thing though. I'm glad I'm wearing snake boots this season. Not the most comfortable walking in the world, but sure makes me feel better walking through those thickets and timber.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41331

man I just checked the weather..starting tomorrow night. rain for 4 to 5 days...up to 3 to 6 inches...glad its doing it now before the plants turn yellow....that would beat the leaves off of them ...

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41332

Looking Good 44! Nice 5 prong and 4 prong! Beautiful ginseng! Just 11 days left until I can hit the woods! I'm hoping the weather calms down! It's scorching in WV right now. Then looks like chance of rain for the next 10 days. Heavy for 4 of them. The agony of the wait!!!!!!! Meanwhile here is a beauty from last year!
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41333

Thanks carl, Hope your wait goes by fast and you can get into it! Early September can be a rough time to be in the woods, but you got to get in there while it's good. I just couldn't stand it and had to go again this morning. I hunted the same ridge side, but took a little different route down through the hollow. Managed to pick up another 13.5 oz's today some beautiful seng. I was about an hour into it and got stung 4 times by yellow jackets once in the hand, on the shoulder, and twice in the leg. Little did I know they were in the ground right next to where I was digging. You should've seen me swinging my machete at em, surprised I didn't cut my leg off, lol.

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41334

13.5 oz morning and 4 yellow jacket stings. Gotta take the good with the bad.
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41335

finally found some berries today!
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41336

couple of purple berries on this one.
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2018 5 years 6 months ago #41337

came across some nice 4's