2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: High Mountain Sengin 2017

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40528

Great one wild. I get so excited when I find a big plant like that.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40538

The one the big root came from. Big 4 with 2 prongs gone. Never know what kind of root you're gonna find sengin. I've found bigger tops with smaller roots and vice versa. The more telling sign of a good root is the size of the stalk I have noticed.

Attachments:

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40541

Wild ur right about the stalks the 4.8 oz root I found this year had a stalk as big as my pinky finger I was jumping up n down with joy lol

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40544

4.8 oz, Nice!. You see those big stalks and you know you're into something good..:cheer: That's what we go for! I think we're all lucky and fortunate to be out enjoying the woods and doing what we love. That's where it's at!

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40545

Nice root there! Some of the fun of ginsenging is that you never really know what you are going to get. I've dug big 4 prongs with a pencil sized stalk that I was sure was going to be a big root only to have it be average. I've been digging a 3 prong that had a 2 prong right next to it that I dug up and the 2 prong had a 20 + year old kernel while the 3 prong was only 10+. That's why I don't pay attention to the chatter from the "experts." Ginseng does lay dormant. No diggers will not dig it all. You miss ginseng all the time. Even the best of ginsengers can't find every stalk. Timbering and strip mining do more damage to the ginseng species than diggers can. Back in the day, there wasn't a "season". My grandfather grew up in a time when they dug it whenever they ran across it because they were dirt poor. You can go back there to those spots to this day and still dig ginseng. Ginseng will be in a good place soon enough. There are way less diggers now than there were 50-100 years ago. Kids nowadays aren't interested in it. Too many video games and cell phones. I'm 46 and there are barely any people my age in my old neck of the woods that dig it. Heck I know I probably won't dig anymore after my uncle isn't able to go. The major reason I do go is the fun we have. Main thing is to be smart, safe, and have fun. Can't wait to hit the woods for the first time this year in 4 days. Keep up the photos everyone!

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40546

thanks mountaineer, and well said there. There is no figuring out mother nature we just take what she is willing to give us, the good and the bad, but no denying she is magnificent. You're right about kids and video games etc.. When me and my brother were kids we played outside everyday in the woods and creeks, and came home at dark. It sure is different nowadays, and not in a good way. I take my nephew and niece out as often as possible. My nephew is 8 and already asking me to go deer hunting, so there is hope..:laugh: Hope you guys get into it!

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40549

keep them young'un involved ..that's great 44

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40550

Several years ago I met someone my own age in the woods. Since then I have seen no one. Not a soul. This is troubling. Am I the last person interested in the wilderness ? Dog walkers do not count. Joggers do not count. Nothing but weekend warriors. If they had to walk a hundred yards a heart attack would be a foregone conclusion.

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40557

Hey Archon, It probably depends more on where you live. Hiking is very big where I live because of all the trails etc. There are a lot of wilderness lovers out there. There are many different ways to enjoy the wilderness like hunting, fishing, hiking, camping the list goes on and on. That being said there are probably fewer of us crazy ginseng hunters out there..:S. It takes all kinds of people I know, but couldn't imagine life without the outdoors. Do what you love and love what you do. That's the key! Good hunting to you.

High mountain sengin 6 years 7 months ago #40561

Hunted along the creek today and got into some really nice 4 prongs and small patches. Ended up a 20 oz day, with another crazy root as well.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Who's Online

We have 519 guests and no members online

Login