2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: High Mountain Sengin 2017

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40743

Good for you 44... Hours by it as long as you can... We haven't had rain for almost 3 weeks now so I'm pretty sure it's pretty much done around here... all of my wild simulated beds have been gone for weeks now... Congrats on the 5 prongers... I've only found one in 30 plus years of sangin... I actually transplanted it close to the house and it's still alive to this day...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40744

Thanks fellas, I'd love to get some more full days of sengin in, but been so busy with work and everything else. Jimsanger that's pretty cool about transplanting the 5 prong that will give you something to watch over the years. The first 5 prong I found was couple years ago it was a huge mature top with big leaves on each prong. I saved the top and preserved it between wax paper, lol. When I started out in the woods today I noticed most of the cohosh was torched. The seng is actually holding up quite well in and around the creeks, and in well shaded areas.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40745

That's great wild. Keep on a golng.

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40747

Thanks Hob, well, wasn't able to hit the woods today as I had hoped, but Hopefully tomorrow! Jimsanger, I took a few pics of the 5 prong I found couple years back. The wax paper preserved it pretty good I guess, although the color has pretty much faded. I remember the root being pretty nice, but really nothing like what you would expect to come off a big top like this.

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40748

big 5 from couple years back.
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40749

5 prong in the window, lol.
Attachments:

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40750

thats really cool 44.... Gives me a great idea!!! Which Im going to share at another time!!!! Not telling you what to do with your sang but to this day I'm still very glad that I transplanted the five pronger that I found years ago... I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of watching over it every year. And I get a ton of berries from it. Anyways if I was you I would consider transplanting it if you still can.

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40751

Hey Jimsanger, certainly nothing wrong with transplanting for sure. The woods that surround my house aren't really ideal for ginseng, so I would just have to transplant it up in the mountains where I hunt. Those 5's are really rare, always neat when you run across one.

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40753

its amazing how long the leaves and stalks will last when not exposed to the weather..i put two four prongers in a vase in my shop.they lasted 3 years the leaves never fell off..same on the color they faded clear out....

High Mountain Sengin 2017 6 years 6 months ago #40766

Well, I hunted the past two mornings, and got about 12 more oz's to add to the lot. Man it was dry and I've pretty much steamed and scoured all my hot spots, lol. There's still some seng in spots, but for the most part she's pretty much done. Had a great season would always like it to last longer, but time to let her rest, well mainly to let me rest, lol. I hope all you guys had a great one as well. Good luck to all of you guys still digging.

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Who's Online

We have 139 guests and no members online

Login