2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: 2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),..

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40523

that is a bruiser for sure ,congrats....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40534

Wild that's where I find alot of my big ones in the rocks. Great root man.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40535

thanks fellas, it's fun to find those big ones indeed. Seems like the bigger ones are those loners you find in fallen timber and thickets, and those big rock piles too. Hope you guys are still gettin in it!

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40536

That's an awesome root wild. I don't know how you got that thing out of the ground without cutting that long root off. Do you have a picture of the plant that that root came from? Had to be a huge plant.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40537

thanks jimsanger, I did take a picture of it. It was a big 4 prong, but two of the prongs had fallen off. Just happened to catch a glimpse of it walking by, could've easily missed it. I could tell by the stalk it was gonna be a good root. Can't tell much from the picture, but I will post it on the High mountain sengin post. The length of the root is what blew my mind more than the weight. Makes you wonder what it would've looked liked in 10-20 years.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40543

It's a giant for sure. I've dug roots similar to that with the long deep branches and I believe that I use to find them in a woods that was selectively timbered. An old timer once told me that roots will get big like that when they get just the right amount of sunlight and are in good soil. I would guess that the long root branches would be an instinctive characteristic of the plant stem trying to get more moisture. Anyways congratulations. It's the nicest root that I've seen this year.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40548

I thought I had a shot at Hobs massive 4.8 root today....but I came up short..4.1...your still in the lead Hob....

Last Edit: by Chieftain.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40552

Nice one chief, looks like it has some age on it as well. Hard to compete with those big hogs hobler finds, but we're giving it our best shot, lol.

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40559

that was a strange woods..most all roots had multi roots coming off the neck...there was a smaller root that had 5 roots coming off the neck..that big root had a small 3 prong plant on it..i wasn't even going to dig it.i crawled up a hill 50 feet and was going to pinch it off and the neck was exposed and I thought wow that's a big neck for a small plant ..

2017 Best Roots (everyone contribute please),.. 6 years 7 months ago #40569

I know what you mean chief. If there's one thing i've learned sengin is you can never really judge the root by the top. I dug some nice three prongers today and actually replanted them because the root was just to small. Some 3 prongers can have really nice roots. Sometimes you don't know till you dig em. I ran into some nice seng today though. I'm hunting the same area I did last season and finding a lot that didn't come up last season. The rain has really brought em out, almost like a rain forest atmosphere.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 320 guests and no members online

Login