2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40651

I went to a deep holler this morning where I thought the heat might not have effected the plants as bad....at 10:30 this morning it was 86 degrees .I walked around for an hour and seen 3 stems...its 94 degrees now....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40652

Yep it's been a hot and dry week here too. The high was 87 here today, got out this morning for several hours. Man what a week of hot temps and no rain does to that seng. Found several that were torched, yellow, green, and everything in between. I'll probably hunt maybe a time or two more, and that might be it. It's been a fantastic season getting out though. Hope the prices are decent this year.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40659

I hope you get out some more 44..i don't think we will have any fall colors on the trees .so far the leaves turn yellow then brown then fall off.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40692

wild - I am over in southern middle TN and hunted yesterday and about half of what I found was going past yellow to brown or brownish yellow.

Found several with nothing but a stem sticking up with a few berries and the prongs were gone.

I may leave the rest for next year... I sure do love seng hunting, but I like to fish just as much if not more, especially when it cools off some and those smallies kick in.

Chief - hate to see that it is over for you this year so early... but congrats on another good year.

TNHunter

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40694

thanks Tn. it was a short season but I had fun ..like you iam ready to fish now.........when it cools off a bit...

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40702

well I just couldn't resist one more walk in the woods...heres what I found......
.....never dug any..these and about 15 other stems is what I seen..

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40703

Boy those have sure had it Chief...

No doubt on regular hillsides and higher elevations (without water source) yours is done for the year.

Might be some low lying areas, creek bottoms, with more moisture where you could find some. If you had a creek bottom and a tall north facing bluff to hunt around that would probably be your best bet to find a few still hanging in there. I think Billy always said to look for moss covered rock areas to find those last few stalks still standing.

TNHunter

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40704

I agree with TN on hunting the creek bottoms. It's been at least 2 weeks without rain here and hot, so no telling what I will find next week if anything. Don't mind a walk in the woods either way if it's cool outside though. It looks like fishing might be the next priority real soon. Hope the crappie are on this fall.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40705

I think its done...talked to a buddy in Indiana he said its done there too..going to be a short supply from around here this year.....talked to couple local diggers..they did awful this year.44, I cant remember the last time it rained here,its been a long while...but it did cool off...crappie should start biting when the water temp.s cool a bit...I hope....

Last Edit: by Chieftain.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40706

Yeah, Just hard to know from one year to the next what the rain is gonna do. We had some really good rain this past summer and pre season, but it don't take but a week or two drought and hot temps to really take a toll. That seng really needs that moisture.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Who's Online

We have 468 guests and no members online

Login