2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: opening day...

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40438

I went to spot number four on my Garmin..kinda disappointing..lots of sang but well below average size root..i dug 10 ounces and thought this is stupid .all the ones I dug were 4 prongers..some were knee high nice big plants but small root..i spent 45 min.s digging and a hour and a half plucking off the tops, no one will find them this year..just a strange woods....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40439

Chief...

I have noticed over the years that different areas of my county and neighboring counties the seng is just different..

Some areas the tops will be larger and the roots smaller.. and some areas the tops will be small but the roots larger and then in some places the tops and roots will be larger (my favorite spots for sure).

Different soil types, nutrient content, light, slope, etc ... sometimes it favors tops and sometimes roots, and sometimes both.

I hunted a long day yesterday and it rained on me on and off all day. Thought of you a couple times. Hope you get some of this rain soon.

Slipped and busted my hind end a few times too !

TNHunter

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40442

TNhunter wrote: ... sometimes it favors tops and sometimes roots, and sometimes both.

TNHunter

....I think you nailed it there TN..in that woods it just seem like the tops did great but the roots didn't..its like the root puts out all it can to make a nice top then the root doesn't grow much...

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40462

living the high life,,it was hot and dry in the woods today...60 % yellow 20% still green .20% down or burnt up...ive dug this stuff for 51 years and ive never seen it go this quick....39 oz. today....

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40476

Great day Chief looking good

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40477

Man that beer looks good!...:cheer:

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40485

44 by the time I got out of the woods there was only two swigs in that bottle.lol...thanks Hob..our weather maybe diffrent but you and me are still having fun in the timber.good luck the rest of the way.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40491

spot number 7 on the garmin..its a flat woods so I carried the camera..dug 14 oz..spent more time pulling the tops off.....
...a rare green one along side a yeller one...

Last Edit: by Chieftain.

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40492

most plants look like these...dried up or burnt up......
....i may try to hunt the rest of next week some but I think it will pretty much be done..a rain now would make a lot of plants fall completely apart.....

opening day... 6 years 6 months ago #40493

That's the way it was here last season chief. I had to hunt low along the creeks most of the season. Everything up high looked like someone took a flamethrower to it. Looks like you've had a killer harvest. Hope you get some more quality hunts in before it's gone.

Last Edit: by wildspirit44.
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Who's Online

We have 547 guests and no members online

Login