2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Saturday up the creek

Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39087

Well, you think from living in the mountains most of my life I would be quite use to black bears and their behavior. Today however I experienced something like i've never seen. I found a new spot on google maps on the property where I hunt, and thought i'd give it a try today. I hiked up the creek about half a mile through mountain laurel and rhododendron. It then started looking really good and I climbed up the ridge and hunted along the side. I dug a little over a pound today of some really nice roots. I guess it was about 10:30 and I had just knelt down to dig and heard something rustling above me. I stood up and saw a big black bear about 50 yards up the ridge from me. I waved my arms, yelled, whistled, everything I could think of and it just stood there looking at me. I thought to myself are you kidding me. I then pulled out my glock 9mm and fired a shot at a tree close to the bear. Thinking that would do the trick, but it did nothing It actually stepped CLOSER! I bet we stood there staring at each other for the better part of 10 minutes. It was on it's hind legs sniffing and trying to figure out what was going on. About this time my glock started to feel like I was carrying a bb gun and wishing I had something bigger. Finally, it very slowly walked off. I have never in all my days seen a black bear that fearless. Anyway, it was a very exciting dig today!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39088

1.80 oz root today. I believe my biggest root yet
Attachments:

Re:Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39089

best root yet
Attachments:

Re:Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39090

one of many nice 4's today
Attachments:

Re:Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39107

great plant right there....

Re:Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39162

Wild spirit... those are some awesome roots.

We don't have Bears down here where I live, and I am glad of it. Don't want to be out hunting where something could be hunting me.

Getting mauled and eaten are no where near my bucket list.

Glad you got out of that one safe.

TNHunter

Re:Saturday up the creek 7 years 7 months ago #39166

thanks tnhunter, that hollow produced some nice ones. It was quite a hike in there though. I worked hard for them, lol. The bear never acted aggressive, but just would not move until he was good and ready even after I fired a warning shot. I've never seen anything like it. Black bears are usually so skittish of humans. I do have dark hair and a dark beard, maybe he thought I was a bear...:laugh: I checked out a new spot this evening and hope to go for a few hours early tomorrow. Looks like a few of you guys are finding some nice ones, good to see. Good hunting and stay safe fellows.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 356 guests and no members online

Login