2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Greetings

Greetings 9 years 2 months ago #34167

Hey folks,
I'm new to the forum and going to start back ginseng hunting this fall. I used to hunt with my grandfather years ago. I want to teach my kids the art of hunting as my grandfather did for me.

I would love to see some pictures of everyone's gear, tools/pouches because I'm about to gear up. Here's my grandfathers \"sein hoe\".
http://www.wildgrown.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hoe.JPG[/im[img size=640] www.wildgrown.com/media/kunena/attachmen...y/images/hoe.JPG[/im
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Greetings 9 years 2 months ago #34168

Attachments:

Re:Greetings 9 years 2 months ago #34178

Welcome to this forum!

There's quite a few folks here tht are knowledgeable, and sometimes humerous...

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34279

It's a slow time of year right now. There will be quite a bit more activity from May thru November

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34291

Kates:

Very nice digger! That curve would give all kinds of extra torque. I use a large Proto flat screwdriver. Poke it in and pry upward about five inches away from on four sides of where the top comes out of the ground and then hands in soil. Pouch is a modern army issue trench shovel pouch. Holds about a pound of wet roots. Did have to empty it into a walmart bag and put it in the backpack one day last year but them are far and few between for me.

Jim

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34296

Kates,

I use a long handle hoe type digger myself.

I have tried many other diggers, flat head screwdrivers, short handle tools, but I like the long handle hoe best.

It makes the digging easy and serves as a walking stick, snake tester, weed beater, etc.

Pic and Video below.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34456

I've thought of using a long handled tool like that but sometimes I don't want to telegraph what I'm doing...

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34473

I like trappers trowels.

Here is the first site I saw that has some you can look at

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trowelsandhammers.aspx

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34482

One of the most important tools I carry - it's around my waist. acts as a snake repellant, a bear inhibitor, a coyote detractor, and riff-raff attention-getter. very useful tool all in all... And in use, I have eight chances to use it before the .45 mag is empty...
Attachments:

Re:Greetings 9 years 1 month ago #34525

Whit..

I have a RUGER .380 LCP that I carry... it is nice and small/compact and carries easily in my back pocket.

We don't have bears here in middle TN so I can afford to pack something along that is not quite as hefty as your 45 cal.

If I empty the clip on that.. I still have my long handle digger that I could whop them with a few times :-)

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds

Who's Online

We have 237 guests and no members online

Login