2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: how dry is to dry

how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30069

hi guys I'm going to try to post a picture of one of my favorite roots want you to look at it and see if it's dry enough seems pretty dry to me. some of the bigger roots still have a little soft feeling too them the smaller ones are nice and hard .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30070

well I'm sorry I am NOT having much luck posting photos I went to the app store and got an application to resize the photos resize them to 800x 600 still nothing not sure what's going on

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30092

Vhunter
When I'm checking to c if my roots r dry. If I squeeze them n they don't move in the thickest part there good to go.

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30093

it seems like most of my roots are pretty hard they seem like they're dry and only the biggest ones are still soft a little I will let them go longer how do you recommend I store these until sale.

(I added the pic per vthunters request. Frank)

Attachments:

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30094

Some put them in paper bags. I use plastic bags n leave the top open n then store them in my gun safe. Any where is good a long as its not in a humid place.

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30143

See above added pic.

Frank

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30312

After dried would a nap in a ziplock bag in the freezer be OK?covered up on a bowl it seemed all of mine got too dry and lost weight after a couple of years.

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30315

jughead wrote:

After dried would a nap in a ziplock bag in the freezer be OK?covered up on a bowl it seemed all of mine got too dry and lost weight after a couple of years.

Although I have kept roots past into another year, this is not a real good idea. Also, I believe that storing dried roots in the freezer after they have dried, would cause more harm than any good of retaining weight in them. The roots could suffer frezzer burn and might actually begin to crumble once taken out from being frozen. However, I could be wrong and someone else might have a better take on it.

Frank

Re:how dry is to dry 9 years 7 months ago #30316

jughead wrote:

Although I have kept roots past into another year, this is not a real good idea. Also, I believe that storing dried roots in the freezer after they have dried, would cause more harm than any good of retaining weight in them. The roots could suffer frezzer burn and might actually begin to crumble once taken out from being frozen. However, I could be wrong and someone else might have a better take on it.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Who's Online

We have 307 guests and no members online

Login