2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: How much you dig?

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26590

Wow fellas,
Some of you have dug a lot of nice roots and a lot of them. I hope you all get top dollar.
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26591

ended up with six pounds 4 ounces dry in minnesota plant half pound of seed thats all i could find hope fully i can get at least a pound of seed next year every one i have talked to says that there is a shortage of seed:(

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26592

Hey all, just joined the forum couple days ago and i'm looking forward to gaining insight on hunting and local prices. Didn't get to go as much as I would've liked. There are few things I enjoy more than hitting the mountains for ginseng. I just recently sold 13.8oz dry for $610 which will give me a little holiday money. Found some nice 4 prongs this year and still waiting to find that elusive 5 prong. Hope everyone had a great and rewarding year. I don't know if I can wait till next. I'm from sevierville, TN and as the crow flies not far from the smokey mountain national park. Hunt literally right outside the park on private property. very lucky and very blessed.
Attachments:

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26594

finally figured out how to resize the photo..:woohoo: .
Attachments:

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26595

That's some dang nice seng!!!! Nice job digging them and storing them.
Thanks for sharing.
Latt

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26597

Hey Guys...

I got to go on 7 hunts this year with some of those being very short hunts and ended up with 1 lb 3 oz (dry) which I sold at the end of October for 770.00 per pound or 914.00.

Averaged making 130.00 per hunt, and some of those hunts were only a couple hour hunts. I am sure good with that.

On my best hunt this year I brought home 2 lbs 5 oz green and lost count of the big nice 4 prongs that day. That was the highlight of the year for me.

Around 4 lbs dry is the most I have ever dug in a year and that was back in my younger days when I did not have so many other responsibilities.

I have planted 63,000 bought stratified seed (9 lbs) and hope to plant 2 more pounds this year (14,000) to get my total bought seed planted up to the 77,000 mark.

But that is bought seed - would be hard to estimate how many berries I have planted since 1976 off wild stuff - I will just say I have planted a BUNCH of those.

TNhunter

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26598

thanks latt and good job tnhunter, ginseng hunting gets in your blood like nothin else. Only thing comparable is arrowhead hunting for me. Like you said the seng is out there but you gotta hit it everyday all day while season lasts hard to do with a lot going on.

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26606

wildspirit44... Welcome to the Wildgrown forums! I hope you will hang with us and share some great Ginseng hunting stories! I was born in Knoxville, lived in Knox County until I was 13, lived in Mississippi for 2 1/2 years then lived in Sevier County on Grassy Branch Rd. when I was 15 until I was 19 years old when I received my' Draft Notice and signed up for the U.S. Army. After getting out of the U.S. Army, I landed a job with the Federal Government which took me to Florida for 6 years, West Virginia for 10 years and then finally back to the area in October of 1994. I have lived in Jefferson County ever since moving back here with my job from which I retired from in 2011. I dug a lot of Ginseng in Sevier County while growing up during my' mid to late teen years and probably know a lot of places that you know and hunt!

Frank

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26609

out of all the ginseng i dug i put a total of 64 of the oldest and best roots back in the ground for future generations to come Thanks

Re:How much you dig? 10 years 5 months ago #26612

Thanks huntsman for the warm welcome. Sounds like you have been around the block a time or two. Yes, very familiar with grassy branch. Looking forward to visiting the forum often and learning a thing or two from you seasoned veterans. I have traveled around a bit but there's still no place like tennessee. Thanks again for the welcome and most of all thank you for your service to the country sir.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Who's Online

We have 160 guests and no members online

Login