2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: parachute fern??

parachute fern?? 14 years 7 months ago #1919

What is the real name and what does it look like? Here in CNY people tell me once I find parachute fern there is a good chane sang is near by. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 7 months ago #2239

Dont know the real name, but looks like its name implies. the top is shaped like an Umbrella or opened parachute.

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 6 months ago #2612

I think this is it, although these aren't great pics. The main stem comes up a foot or more off the ground before the leaves branch out
Attachments:

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 6 months ago #2613

• somerset
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That is called maidenhair fern. Once used by Indians to wash their hair.

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 6 months ago #2618

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
We have many ferns here in Ky,but I have never herd any of them referd to as parachute fern.

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 6 months ago #2649

somerset wrote:

That is called maidenhair fern. Once used by Indians to wash their hair.

Yup, maidenhair. One thing I really look for when sengin. That pretty coll about the Indians Somerset!

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 6 months ago #2652

if u can find these along with some cohosh its just about a guarantee u will find seng or it has been dug out. That fern is the first thing i look for in a new area.

Re:parachute fern?? 14 years 6 months ago #2655

I'm not trying to convince anyone that that isn't maidenhair fern, but I used to know this guy that called it parachute fern. He also called black cohosh \"pointer\" and that was all he called it. He couldn't tell you the first thing about goldenseal, but probably dug more yellowroot than anybody I've ever met. I don't pretend to know for sure, but I think that in some circles parachute fern is what this plant is called. If there is some other fern called parachute fern please post a picture. I will never know enough about the great outdoors.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

Who's Online

We have 304 guests and no members online

Login