2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Seng Season Open In Ky

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 8 months ago #1707

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Steeltrap thank you / and congrats on finding some big roots as well.

Answer to question 1 - You know I had never thought on that,but now that you asked I can not remember finding a realy old root that would still have the shape of a man,,a emperors root,,sure cant,,I do not no why that is..Chieftian may be able to answer that question..

2 - If I was going to transplant some big roots I would wait untill the sap went back down into the main root myself after the stalk is about gone.Also I would dig around the root widely,,,so to speak,,,and create a rootball,sorta like when they transplant a tree from a nursery,,,and then replant the whole ball with the root in it back around the home etc,where you want to place it,main thing,make sure to dig a big clump :) I have never had one to die doing it this way.I to love to look at them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 8 months ago #1708

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Hillbilly Thats some nice roots for 20 minutes especialy and you know im guessing since you only got to spend 20 ninutes in that area that somewhere nearby is some old seng..Are you going to search that area more ? if so let me know whether they where some old ones there or not,I love to search them big ones out lol :)

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 8 months ago #1709

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Paul I would like to know the chinese grading system.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1720

billy, if I had the grading system then we would all be better off. The fact is that wild ginseng digging/ selling has been to this day..... Free like the wild west, now diggers/growers are coming togeather to hopefully get a controlled chunk of the profit of the spread out market that we have come to know.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1724

• ck631
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice photo. Are you gonn sell ?
I would like to buy.
Chris

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1730

How can you tell if Seng is old or not??

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1746

Lonnie size will usually be the #1 factor in telling if it is old. Also a plant will have neck scars on the curls. Each scar represents a year where the plant had a top. But this doesn't tell you the exact age since seng doesn't come up every year. on that plant you dug right at where you cut the stem away is where the curls are at you also should see a little white bud their with next years bud. Count the scars and it will tell you close to the age. I hope i have helped you some i am sure others will reply also to this and give you a little more input. Also lonnie do a search on how to age a ginseng plant it also may be on this site. But there is a really good picture of a seng plant that shows how to count the scars. Hope i have helped good luck hunting.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1747

TY,,,, I counted the scars and there are 13... I need to find out what the best way to dry them is...hillbilly wrote:

Lonnie size will usually be the #1 factor in telling if it is old. Also a plant will have neck scars on the curls. Each scar represents a year where the plant had a top. But this doesn't tell you the exact age since seng doesn't come up every year. on that plant you dug right at where you cut the stem away is where the curls are at you also should see a little white bud their with next years bud. Count the scars and it will tell you close to the age. I hope i have helped you some i am sure others will reply also to this and give you a little more input. Also lonnie do a search on how to age a ginseng plant it also may be on this site. But there is a really good picture of a seng plant that shows how to count the scars. Hope i have helped good luck hunting.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1748

to add to billy's posts, also the thickness of the stem at the base, the hardness of the stem, and the leaves having a dull look are indicators of a plants age. A thick hard stem will be a very old plant.

Re:Seng Season Open In Ky 14 years 7 months ago #1750

How about chiggers????...lol

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 401 guests and no members online

Login