2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: SHOW YOUR TOOL

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12152

I took my maddic the other day because I went back to my \"honey\" hole. Boy, was I saddly disappointed. Of all the 100's of plants that I saw earlier this year, MAYBE 1/4 were still up. Well, I learned what I won't be taking back to the woods. That maddic. I felt like every time I sunk that blade into the ground I was going to have a stroke. I just knew I was chopping up roots. I actually never hurt a single root that I intended to dig but, did manage to chop up 2 or 3 that I didn't see. That made me sick so I went back to the old faithful. A long handled screw driver looking thing with a forked flat blade. I love it because I have plenty of control and can use it as delicate as a paint brush to find every hair root. It's strong and doesn't bend easy. I also carry a small (well built) spade about 12 inchs long to chop up tree roots that get in my way. Those two have served me well albeit they are slower than the maddic. The spade fits in my hammer holder and has never fell out (knock on wood) and both have 1/4 rope slings to wrap around my wrist. On the way out I stuck the maddic in the loop on the top of my back pack and it made for easy carrying but, when I bent over to slurp water from a spring it slid up the loop and hit me square on the knot in the back of my head almost rindering me dumber than a coal bucket. I don't need any help at that anyways, so I slung the maddic and will go back and get it later in the year if no one finds it and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if they do.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12156

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
R/O/T/F/L/O/L @ Chieftain :lol:

And hear is my digger... It helps me to dig the little wee roots over hear in Ky :lol:

I just got to figure out the wheel thing now thats where you got me :ohmy:

Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12163

Billy,

I was looking at your mechanical digger and I'm pretty sure that model runs on \"BEANS\".:laugh:

rootman

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12185

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
rootman Ive herd it put,put a time or two on a long dig hahahaha :laugh: lol

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12873

A few years ago I started using a wide wood chisel, mounted in a small pipe with that plumbers putty made for metal, I think I could knock down a brick wall without breaking it.

Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #12878

That chiesel would surely do the job but I like the mattock for cutting small tree roots, prying up rocks and really sinking that 6 inch blade as far in the dirt as I can.

rootman

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 7 months ago #13048

This was my digging tool earlier in the season before we recieved the much needed rain..
Attachments:

Re:SHOW YOUR TOOL 12 years 6 months ago #14000

I hate to say this, up here I use my hands the good areas have soil that soft. We shove our hands in about 8 inches deep, then start bringing your hands together and pull up.

Guy

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Who's Online

We have 129 guests and no members online

Login