2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Taylors Ginseng

Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10517

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Guys I want to welcome you all to see some videos and pictures of some great ginseng hunts and just good times at my new website I have just created www.taylorsginseng.com

Also I want to invite you all to hear some original gospel music that me and family have recorded on youtub and I hope it is a blessing to you.

www.youtube.com/user/BillyTaylorOriginals

Billy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10519

Billy

Very nice website.

On your family's Gospel Music. Now that Blesses me and I'm sure it will bless many. I only listened to three songs and it was hard to pull myself away from them.

I bookmarked it so I can listen to the rest later.

Music is a great way to share the Love of our Lord and what our Savior did for us!

Thanks Billy!

classicfur

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10526

Billy,

Good to hear from you friend !

I checked out your website - nice ! You have a nice collection of some super ginseng pics there.

I also checked out your friends website (link) and could not read any of the text there, but checked out his vid's too.

Good Luck with your venture there.

On your music video link - Wow that first song \"Where would you be\" is sure a powerful message and you did a great job playing and those kids can sure sing too.

Wonderful !

Question - I noticed on your website you mentioned something about Sept 1 being opening day in KY this year.

Is that for Digging or just for Buying ?

I thought KY digging opened same as ours here in TN - Aug 15.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10528

Thanks for sharing this website. Good pictures and videos.

Lenno

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10531

Very nice site Billy, good luck with it!

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10555

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
classicfur - Thank you im sure glad you liked the music.....:)

Tnhunter thanks man,,,and about the season it has been told to me by a very reliable source that our digging and buying season both advanced 2 weeks..All the years before now it was as you said Aug 15 open day to dig,but now it has advanced up to September 1st and pushed the buying season ahead 2 weeks. Anna Lucio has not posted that yet,but she will be updating Ky`s site soon at this link...

www.kyagr.com/marketing/plantmktg/Ginseng.htm

She said we would be updated in July so any time now it will be official...

Unless I am misslead but im confident that I was not.

I am very very glad that they have did this,as the berries are all ripe by then.

Hopefuly they will enforce a stronger task force in this area against poachers,and inforce it harder,stiffer fines,also against illegal buyers buying out of season....That burns me up. I have already herd of this going on this year,,I wish they would bust both the poachers and the dealers,,to me they are not ginseng hunters as we are and they are not dealers that should represent our state,,o they get me upset...

Thanks Lenno and Maya

Good to chat guys...,

Billy.

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10558

Billy

I have read for years that the USFWS has been asking states that have early harvest seasons, to change to a later season opening so the berries are ripe. Most states have aproppriate seasons for berries to be ripe when it opens. There are a few that have not changed their season dates. One of the listed was KY. But it sounds like they have got it fixed.

Here's what the reccomendations were. Pg 3

\"We will work directly with Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Tennessee and Vermont to encourage revision of their regulations over the next 2 to 4 years to ensure that most fruits are sufficiently mature(red) by the start of their harvest seasons, and if necessary, revise their respective start dates as appropriate.\"

www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/...0NDF%202009-2010.pdf

So there is still four states that have not changed their start dates. And this was from 2009.

It's pretty easy to figure out that harvesting Ginseng while the berries are still green does not help the propagation of the plant.

Good to hear that your state changed!

classicfur

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10559

Thanks Billy..

I checked the state of TN site and it still shows Aug 15 for the start date. I will keep an eye on it the next few weeks and see if they update that. I have not heard of any changes coming on that.

I do agree that Sept 1 would be better as far as more berries being mature enough to germinate.

Keep in mind that that berry ripening study said that 50% of green berries planted Aug 26 germinated.

So if you do find a nice seng plant that has say 80% red berries and you decide to go ahead and harvset it.

You should plant those few green berries too. They have a good chance of germinating.

It would be best to wait until they are all red, but if most are red and just a few green and you make the call to dig it, plant those green ones too.

I plant to hunt several hollows on land that I own the first couple weeks and it is fairly easy for me to get to most of it so I can leave the green berry plants for later in the year.

I will also be filling those hollows up with stratified seed soon anyway so there will not be any shortage of seng in those hollows!

Have a Great 4th everyone !

TNhunter

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10560

classicfur wrote:

Billy

I have read for years that the USFWS has been asking states that have early harvest seasons, to change to a later season opening so the berries are ripe. Most states have aproppriate seasons for berries to be ripe when it opens. There are a few that have not changed their season dates. One of the listed was KY. But it sounds like they have got it fixed.

Here's what the reccomendations were. Pg 3

\"We will work directly with Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Tennessee and Vermont to encourage revision of their regulations over the next 2 to 4 years to ensure that most fruits are sufficiently mature(red) by the start of their harvest seasons, and if necessary, revise their respective start dates as appropriate.\"

www.fws.gov/international/DMA_DSA/CITES/...0NDF%202009-2010.pdf

So there is still four states that have not changed their start dates. And this was from 2009.

It's pretty easy to figure out that harvesting Ginseng while the berries are still green does not help the propagation of the plant.

Good to hear that your state changed!

classicfur

Can't say I see a problem with our opener here in Vermont. I rarely see green berries then! Furthermore it's also against the law to harvest plants w/ green berries. If people are stupid enough to not worry about doing what is right to replenish plants I don't think they will worry when the season start date is. Maturity dates are not the same in all states.

Re:Taylors Ginseng 12 years 9 months ago #10606

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Thats right Tn

And remember the study that I did when I left the near ripe berries on the stalk to see if they would continue to turn and fall and they did.It is very true that if the berries are only a couple weeks from turning red and you plant all the red berrys and leave the green ones in the pod and stand the stalk back up in the hole that they will finish turning red I tryed that and it is true.The berries will if they are full in the pod only,,not baby green berries but from around August 15 this will work on all green berries I have studyed this,

Billy.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online

We have 301 guests and no members online

Login